ABOUT THIS PROJECT
I created this bio-diesel generator model specifically for my upcoming course on “Mastering UV Mapping in 3ds Max” which will be out soon. I’ll be including the model with the course and cover unwrapping the entire thing step-by-step in real-time. So stay tuned for more info on that, if it’s something you’re interested in checking out. But enough about that right now….
After looking at various sets of reference images for these types of generators or heavy engines. I found most had virtually no noticeable damage and were just caked with dust and grime, so that’s what I decided to go with here. I wanted to add a dust layer to the top surfaces, as if dust had just settled on everything over time, but leave the paint and other surfaces in relatively good condition. So I spent a good week just painting dust masks in Mari and overall I’m pretty happy with how it came out. I wanted to keep the resolution high, so I ended up doing around sixty maps for this at 4K.